Monday, May 8, 2017

What I Learned: Sophomore Year



Half way finished. I really can't believe that I am officially a junior in college. As cliche as it may be, time really does fly by when you're having fun. Today I'm sharing the highs & lows of my school year (thankfully the good outweighs the bad) as well as some things I learned along the way:

HIGHS:
1. Voting in my first presidential election
2. Meeting new friends
3. Watching both USC basketball teams go to the national championships
4. Learning how to cook
5. Starting a new job
6. Spring break trip
7. Strengthening existing friendships
8. Luke Bryan/Brett Eldridge concert 
9. (Free!) Darius Rucker concert 
10. Starting a blog!

LOWS:
1. Getting the flu
2. Watching our football team go 6-7
3. Losing touch with some friends
4. Slicing 3 of my fingers
(2 months later and they're still not 100% recovered)
5. Losing two family members

WHAT I LEARNED:
1. Who my true friends are// I mentioned this before, but since we don't live on campus after freshman year, seeing your friends that used to live down the hall or just a short walking distance away is a lot harder to do. I think sophomore year is where all of the friendships you make freshman year are put to test because you actually have to make an effort to see the people you want to.

2. How to grow up// Having an apartment this year forced me to grow up much more than I expected it would. I didn't realize last year how much hand-holding we got in the dorms. I could go get a meal anytime I wanted without paying out of my own pocket, and I even had someone come clean my bathroom for me every other week! This year, I had to learn to cook and meal plan, keep up with keeping my apartment kitchen and bathroom clean, keep up with paying various bills, etc. 

3. How to live a healthy life// Because I was cooking for myself this year, I decided it was time to adapt a more healthy lifestyle. I incorporated a lot of vegetables into my diet, heavily limited my gluten intake, and tried to eat as cleanly as possible. Since January, I also started back running a little bit (not as much as I would like), and I've also started taking walks along the river. And what do you know... I have started seeing some results from eating clean(er) and moving more! I did, however, start drinking soda (diet coke) again this year after not drinking it for five years! You win some, you lose some I guess ;)

4. How to budget money// Going along with the whole "growing up" thing, I had to learn how to manage my money better this year. I was so used to buying anything I wanted, when I wanted, and at the beginning of the school year, I had a reality check real fast. I was spending WAY too much money. Now, I've worked on budgeting my money and thinking about things/saving my money up before I order everything in my online cart! I am still working on this though, lol.

5. How to settle for more// I stole the "settle for more" phrase from this book that I've been reading, but I've adapted it in my everyday life. The biggest lesson I've learned this year is 'If you don't like something, change it'. I knew I wanted a job that would give me real world experience, so I got one. I wanted better grades this year, so I studied more and got better grades. I wanted to have a creative outlet, so I made this blog. The list could go on and on... Not to make everything seem as easy as "I wanted it, so I got it", because I had to put in a lot of time and effort for all of those things to happen the way that they did, but if you're not happy with certain elements in your life, I would encourage you to think about what you can do to change them and settle for more. 

That's a peak into what my sophomore year of college looked like! Thanks for reading this book of a blog post, if you made it all the way through :)

& thank you for all of the support I've received this year on starting the blog! I can't wait to see what this summer has in store!

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful girl, inside and out. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete