Monday, January 30, 2017

How I Stay Motivated to Workout








I mentioned that a good workout is something that makes me happy, and my goal to exercise more is something that I have actually been pretty good at keeping up with so far this year! There's nothing quite like feeling sore the day after dying at the gym... 

Something that helps keep me motivated is having a specific goal in mind that I'm trying to reach. This could be anything-- like losing a certain amount of weight, trying to fit in to a pair of pants, etc. I have personally set two goals in mind:

1. 5K// My mom and I are planning on running a 5K this spring, (did I mention neither one of us have ever done any kind of race before!?) To prepare for this, I've been trying to run 5 days a week, but I usually start to want to give up around mile 2 of running on the treadmill. But... knowing that I am training and need to at least make it to a little over 3 miles total (running or walking) really pushes me to go that extra mile. 

2. Spring Break// I am going to the beach for spring break, so that also motivates me to push harder at the gym! My roommate and I have this joke to just yell "SPRING BREAK" whenever either of us want junk food or don't want to go to the gym! It really helps to have an accountability partner to force you to go to exercise when you're feeling lazy!

If you're looking for some motivation for your fitness routine, I would highly recommend 2 apps for your phone! 

1. FitBit// This obviously only works if you own a FitBit, but the corresponding app keeps me SO accountable! Not only do I feel SO accomplished by the confetti on my profile when I reach my daily step goal, it also tracks my active minutes during the day, and graphs them by the week, so I can see exactly which days I need to step up my game (pun not intended?) This app is so cool because it tracks your sleep if you wear your FitBit to bed too, and you can also log your food/water intake! The best part about it though is being able to see all of your friends' weekly step counts. It ranks all of your friends in order of the most steps, and there's no greater feeling than being at the top of that list!(I know the Apple Watch has a lot of similar features as well.)

2. MyFitnessPal// I have been using this app since forever and it's awesome! When you sign up for an account, it asks you your current weight, your goal weight, how long you want it to take to reach that goal weight, and how active you are. Then it takes that info plus your age, gender, etc and calculates how many calories you should eat in a day to meet your goals. You can also log your exercise activity here too, but it's going to be more of an estimate as opposed to what FitBit calculates from your movements. This app is actually what I use to log my food and water during the day. It's so easy because not only can you search for food from a restaurant to log (aka "Chick-fil-a small fries"), you can actually scan the barcode from your packaged food straight into the app and it'll log all of the nutrition info for you! 

Hope this gives you some motivation to strive for your fitness goals! Let's keep each other accountable! Also, if you have a FitBit add me as a friend so we can compete against each other! 

What are your tips on staying motivated for working out? I'd love to know!

Thanks for reading, see you Wednesday with my January Favorites :)



SHOP THE POST:




13 comments on "How I Stay Motivated to Workout"
  1. You're such a cutie! Love the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute that you're training with your mom! Can I just say I LOVE that tank top, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a FitBit and I've used MyFitnessPal so I totally agree with you. One thing I will say is that if you're training to run a 5k, then you should start running outside. I have friends who run 5k, 10k and marathon races and they always train by running outside. Running on concrete is way different on your body than running on a treadmill. So you want to make sure that your body is prepared for the 5k environment.

    www.ohtobeamuse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point! Thanks for the tips, Cheryl!

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I am starting a weight loss journey but exercise is something I really struggle with. Motivation is a huge problem so I am always looking for strategies to stay motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need all the motivation I can get! Cute new workout clothes probably help the most to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree with you. I too use MyFitnessPal and it is such a great way to stay accountable to what you are consuming.

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE MyFitnessPal! I'm also doing a 6-week Bootcamp that is currently kicking my butt. But I agree totally helps to have some specific goals in mind. Love yours. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen so many people mention fitbit I am going to check it out! I definitely need motivation to go and keep going to the gym. This post was a great help!


    Foirell | www.citygirlrell.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tips. Staying motivated is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good post this is what I need right now a good motivation for my workout

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need this right now. I'm finding it hard to find time for the gym. Thanks for the motivation!

    Beth || www.TheStyleBouquet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. Whatever motivates you, use it! I recently trained to run a 5K with the Couch To 5K app. It's great. Cheap and super effective. I have some other free fitness tools on my blog if you want to check them out. www.FrugalFloridaMom.com Good luck!

    ReplyDelete